Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Lowestoft Town FC app


Lowestoft Town - Match centre

Lowestoft Town
Tue 8 Apr 19:45 - The Ryman Football League - Premier Division Full time Attendance 852

Wealdstone 0 Lowestoft Town 0

Lowestoft Town put in a great showing to get a solid and well deserved point in a 0-0 draw away to champions-elect Wealdstone.

Att 852

Wealdstone: North, Hammond, Okimo, Parker, Cronin, Godfrey, Little (Dean 81 mins), Pigden, Wright (McCubbin 46 mins), Penny, Pett (McCluskey 76 mins)
Subs; McCubbin, O'Nien, McCluskey, Dean, Bentley

Lowestoft Town: Jones, Williams (Frew 66 mins), Gleeson, Gaughran, Smith, Jack Ainsley, Jarvis, Okay, Eagle (Haynes-Brown 90+ mins), Henderson, Reed (Bammant 83 mins)
Subs; Stuart Ainsley, Haynes-Brown, Frew, Bammant, Jessup

Lowestoft Town put in a great showing to get a solid and well deserved point in a 0-0 draw away to champions-elect Wealdstone.

It was a big game for both sides but with Wealdstone all but champions, Lowestoft were the side going into the game looking for the points and knew that even a draw would be a great result in their continued play-off push. There has never been any love lost between the two sides and a cracker was on the cards with Wealdstone desperate to finally try and get a win against the blues in their tenth attempt.

Fisk was still missing from the Lowestoft squad with a groin injury but a surprise return by Williams was a welcome boost before kick-off. Wealdstone were missing McGleish again but still had a dangerous line-up, containing the likes of Little, Pett and Penny.

The match got underway with Lowestoft playing in white, red, white, on a very decent looking playing surface, in which credit has to be given to the home groundsman.
The game was just four minutes old when Jones had to be called into action as Penny got in on goal but with Jones getting down to the strikers feet well, he got enough of a hand on it to steer it away, as Penny looked to take it round him.
That early chance aside, it had been a fairly mild opening ten minutes to the match but it was already clear that everything was going through Little for the home side, as the experienced and clever midfielder weighed the game up and started to pick out some well judged passes.
It had been an even affair thus far but Lowestoft were now starting to get some good balls into the box via Jack Ainsley, while Reed was showing good strength and movement to get to the byline on a couple of occasions. Jarvis was also on his game again in the middle and with Lowestoft showing some good movement, they starting to see more and more of the possession on a surface that was allowing them to showcase their passing qualities.
A superb touch by Eagle allowed Henderson to expose the Wealdstone defence but from a very tight angle his effort went across the face of goal and past the far post.
Lowestoft were playing really well and as the thirty minute mark arrived they started to win a number of corners with Jack Ainsley and Williams combining well down the right.
After Eagle had played a lovely pass to put Henderson in earlier, Henderson returned the favour with a similarly exquisite pass to release Eagle but as per the earlier effort, Eagle also flashed his chance past the far post.
The Trawlerboys were now seeing a sustained spell of possession and with some brilliant interchanging passing, involving the in-form Jarvis, Lowestoft opened up the Wealdstone defence again but the keeper North was quick in getting to the feet of Reed to stop the strikers stabbed effort at goal.
Lowestoft were looking fairly comfortable but were given a prompt reminder of the threat within the Wealdstone team, as a corner came in from Pigden and with Wright ghosting in from nowhere, his header went crashing into the Lowestoft crossbar.
Wealdstone were ending the half with a small spell of possession themselves and very nearly carved an opening with a beautifully weighted pass by Little but the Lowestoft defence just cut it out as the halftime whistle sounded and Lowestoft went into the break ahead on points, having had the best chances.

Wealdstone made their first change during the break with McCubbin coming on for Wright.
It was the home side who were straight on top with added tempo to their game and with Little involved in the opening seconds of the half, a squared ball across the box saw a deflected Wealdstone shot loop high and over the Lowestoft bar.
The home supporters were now blasting out songs and chants from behind the goal as the Bulla Stand could sense that their team had shifted up a gear. Lowestoft were being trapped in their own half by Wealdstone and with some good football through the middle of the park, Pett was able to get to the byline down the left and with him squaring the ball to McCubbin, Jones got down well to make a great save for Lowestoft.
Wealdstone had clearly upped their game and for Lowestoft it was a case of keeping it tight and trying to ride the spell out from the home side. That's exactly what they did and as the sixty minute mark arrived Lowestoft started to retain more of the ball and as a result were seeing an increase in possession. Wealdstone were still a threat though and with a cross come shot coming in from the right, Jones had to react brilliantly turn the ball over the bar.
It was good stuff again from the home side but the Lowestoft defence were holding strong with the back four working hard and Gaughran in particular making some excellently timed tackles and clearances at the back.
Having impressed when coming on Saturday, Bammant looked the obvious choice from the bench for Lowestoft but in an effort to give the hardworking Jake some support, the first roll of the dice for Lowestoft saw Frew replace Williams, who had made a return but was now struggling a little. As a result of the change Jack Ainsley slotted in at right back while Henderson moved out wide.
A great burst of power by Reed looked like it could reap rewards as he made his way up to and into the box but his effort hit the keeper and then the defender before going behind.
There was now fifteen minutes of the match left on the clock and the game had gone a little quiet. That had been the case for Henderson also, who had not hit his usual standards but with a lovely spin in the box to leave the defence rooted, Henderson came very close to breaking the deadlock but he dragged his shot inches past the far post.
Legs were now showing signs of tiredness on both sides, as Wealdstone introduced McCluskey and Dean for Pett and Little, while Lowestoft replaced Reed with Bammant.
Wealdstone were desperate for the win, to all but secure the title and as expected they looked to apply pressure in the closing minutes of the match in the hope to steal the lead.
A corner was blocked in the area and then scrambled away by Lowestoft, as the home support roared and Lowestoft started to get pushed deep. The Lowestoft defence was solid though and didn't look like faltering so late in the game.
A great cross from Frew nearly saw Bammant take advantage in the closing stages but at the far post but he wasn't quite able to get high enough on it to make it count.
Four minutes of stoppage time were indicated and Haynes-Brown replaced Eagle from the bench but the time dropped away and the final whistle sounded as Lowestoft secured a well deserved and important point.

Wealdstone are going to win the league and nobody can deny that they don't deserve it, as they've proved to be a very good and consistent team during the season and as a result have got their reward. Lowestoft competed with them superbly, not just tonight but also in the match at the Crown Meadow. It was a solid and important away point to go with what had been an impressive performance from a Lowestoft side who have a play-off place firmly in their sights and are hungry for promotion.
Everything good that came from Wealdstone came via or through the impressive Little and even though every player had put a shift in for Lowestoft, there were three in particular who had stood out. Reed had showed great hold up play, strength and movement, especially in the first half. While Jarvis was right on his game yet again to command the middle of the park with great quality and a superb work ethic. My Man of the Match though was the ever consistent and ever reliable Sam Gaughran. He reads the game so well and put in a number of excellent tackles during the match, especially when Wealdstone had a good spell in the second half.

The referee also deserves a mention, as the game flowed really well and he was spot on with his decisions for both sides.

Lowestoft will now turn their focus to Saturday when they travel to Kingstonian in what looks like being a play-off chasing six-pointer of a match.

Let's get behind the team and get the three points!

Terry Bullen

The FA Respect: We Only Do Positive

Sam Gaughran

Player of the Match

Sam Gaughran

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier Division results

Bury Town


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Wealdstone 46 96
2. Kingstonian 46 85
3. Bognor Regis Town 46 85
4. Lowestoft Town 46 84
5. AFC Hornchurch 46 83
6. Dulwich Hamlet 46 82
7. Maidstone United 46 81


Club sponsors