Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Lowestoft Town FC app


Lowestoft Town - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Lowestoft Town
Bury Town
Sat 18 Jan 15:00 - The Ryman Football League - Premier Division Full time Attendance 568

Lowestoft Town 1 Bury Town 3

The promotion chances of Lowestoft Town are dealt a big blow as they lose 3-1 to local rivals Bury Town in the Ryman Premier League.

Att 568

Lowestoft Town: Jones, Williams, Gaughran, Gleeson, Smith, Jack Ainsley, Okay, Jarvis (Fisk 46 mins), Eagle, Henderson (Osei 60 mins), Reed
Subs; Osei, Frew, Stuart Ainsley, Fisk, Jessup

Bury Town: Garnham, Smith, Dunbar, Short, Bailey-Dennis, Bullard, Patrick (Wales 69 mins), Kennedy, Cunningham (Taylor 77 mins), Clarke, Whight
Subs; Roulston, Wales, Taylor

The promotion chances of Lowestoft Town are dealt a big blow as they lose 3-1 to local rivals Bury Town in the Ryman Premier League.

Coming into the game Lowestoft boasted a good home record and Bury Town a good away record, which set the game up nicely in what is normally a high-octane and explosive match when these two sides meet.

Lowestoft were unchanged from Tuesday night, while Bury started with the towering Bailey-Dennis alongside Bullard in defence and the ex-blue Danny Cunningham up front.

The opening minutes of the game saw Lowestoft put together a couple of nice passing moves in the Bury half but it was Bury who got the first sight of goal. A lovely touch by Cunningham released Clarke into the area but just as he was setting himself, Williams came charging across from his right back position to make a sublime tackle and win the ball.
Both sides were looking for an early foothold in the game and even though Jarvis was lucky to get away with a stern talking to after going through the back of Whight, the game was lacking the usual intensity that's present when these two teams meet.
As the fifteen minute marked passed neither keeper had been asked any questions and the game was starting to go a little flat, with Lowestoft also frustratingly not clearing the first man from a few early free-kicks.
Eagle sent a lovely ball in round the back of the Bury defence from deep to send Reed into the area but the Bury defence closed quickly to deal with the danger. While at the other end Short hit a dropping ball for Bury but it was always going wide as the half hour mark approached and both sides were now effectively cancelling each other out.
The half was developing into a poor half of football in truth with the only real entertainment coming from Cunningham repeatedly throwing himself around like a crash test dummy, berating the linesman and looking for free-kicks.
As the first half minutes ticked away the game was still waiting to burst into life, as Okay delivered a good ball from the left but with the lack of pace on the ball, Williams had to generate the pace himself as his header struck the upright with Bury keeper Garnham beaten all ends up. Moments later Eagle sent a drifting effort just past the goal but on the stroke of half-time Lowestoft snuck ahead. Jack Ainsley was in possession in a wide right position and with him whipping in a great ball, Reed showed real determination to get in on goal and make the faintest of touches as the ball nestled into the net for 1-0 and a half-time lead for Lowestoft (45 mins).

The second half started with Lowestoft making a forced change in the interval, as Fisk replaced Jarvis in midfield. Only a few minutes passed of the second period though before Bury drew level in the match ,with a ball from the left taking a slight deflection and with the Lowestoft defence almost standing still, Short guided the ball passed Jones from just inside the area for 1-1 (47 mins).
The goal lifted Bury and five minutes later they grabbed a second to get themselves ahead but it was a second goal that was clouded in controversy. Cunningham delivered a free-kick from the right and with Jones set to claim, the ball appeared to be punched into the net by Bullard and as a result Lowestoft players appealed in numbers but after a discussion on the touchline between the match officials, the goal was awarded and Bury went 2-1 ahead (52 mins).
Two very nearly became three for Bury, as Williams slipped while going for a ball that had been sent in from the right and with Whight just needing to pick his spot, he made a right hash of it and the chance went begging.
The game had finally come alive and moments later Lowestoft carved out a chance with Jack Ainsley again turning provider to put Reed in on goal but with Garnham standing tall his attempt to lift the ball over the Bury keeper was claimed with ease.
Henderson was replaced by Osei as Lowestoft looked to get back into the game and Williams made a few of his trademark bursts down the right to try and get things going for the blues.
Bury were holding out well as Lowestoft got more numbers forward with just over twenty minutes of the match remaining but it just wasn't going for Lowestoft, who's attacks lacked any real bite.
Bury made their first change with Wales being introduced from the bench in place of Patrick and even though Bury were worthy of their one goal lead, the scoreline became more flattering for them as they grabbed a third and effectively ended the contest. A great ball from midfield split Lowestoft in half and with Clarke coming in from the left he bent a shot towards the far post where Kennedy was at hand for the simplest of tap-ins for 3-1 (71 mins).
Bury made another change as Taylor replaced Cunningham and with them now seemingly happy to sit off, Lowestoft looked to press and use the space and time on offer. A free-kick from fully twenty-five yards was well shaped by Smith, leaving Garnham flat footed in the Bury goal but frustratingly hitting the upright. Then an Eagle cross from the left found the head of Osei but he was unable to get enough pace on his header as Garnham claimed with ease.
The minutes were now ticking away fast for Lowestoft and with Bury closing out the game effectively the final whistle sounded and Bury had deservedly come away with all three points in a 3-1 victory.

Overall the result was a fair one and Lowestoft could have no qualms after putting in a performance that lacked any real quality or bite to it. Jack Ainsley picked out a couple of key passes, of which one set up the only goal for Lowestoft. While Eagle looked lively throughout but didn't get much in the way of support for his efforts. At the back Lowestoft conceded three goals, of which one of them was certainly questionable but for his commanding presence and his attacking prowess down the flank from a right back position, my Man of the Match was yet again Curtley Williams.

Lowestoft Town are next in action on Tuesday night when East Thurrock visit the Crown Meadow. Your continued support would be much appreciated by the club, management and players.

Terry Bullen

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Curtley Williams

Player of the Match

Curtley Williams

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier Division results

Maidstone United
Wingate & Finchley


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Wealdstone 46 96
2. Kingstonian 46 85
3. Bognor Regis Town 46 85
4. Lowestoft Town 46 84
5. AFC Hornchurch 46 83
6. Dulwich Hamlet 46 82
7. Maidstone United 46 81


Club sponsors