Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Lowestoft Town FC app


Lowestoft Town - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Lowestoft Town
Sat 18 Aug 15:00 - The Ryman Football League - Premier Division Full time Attendance 135

Whitehawk 1 Lowestoft Town 3

Lowestoft survived an horrendous 5½ hour journey without the benefit of a break due to traffic accidents and congestion and a torrid opening half before running out worthy winners at newly promoted Whitehawk.

The Trawlerboys gave debuts to 4 of their new signings, Dan Gleeson in defence, Aaron Jones and Lee Smith in midfield and Jack Defty up front.

Lowestoft were all at sea in the opening minutes and fell behind after just 8 minutes. Paul Armstrong was allowed to reach the bye line before crossing to Scott McGleish whose header struck the arms of Scott Mitchell with the referee awarding a rather harsh penalty.

McGleish stepped up to take the spot kick which rebounded into the net off the inside of the post.Worse was to follow just two minutes later when Adam Smith fell awkwardly when challenging for the ball and was carried off to be replaced by Robert Eagle.

Lowestoft were struggling to put anything together and should have fallen further behind when a cross from Josh Jones found McGleish but with a free header inside the 6 yard box he powered his header a foot over the top.Lowestoft’s only real chance of the first half came late on when a long cross from Greg Crane found Jack Defty whose header was deflected for a corner.

It was a different story in the second period as the Trawlerboy took a firm grip on the game and started to pose questions for the home defence. Joe Francis slipped a diagonal ball though to Defty but keeper Chris Winterton produced an excellent save. Defty’s neat flick found Chris Henderson who rounded the keeper but with a gaping goal could only stab the ball wide under pressure from Mark Knee.

Whitehawk continued to look quick on the break and might have increased their lead but Paul Armstrong volleyed high and wide from close range. Lowestoft’s mounting pressure finally paid off with a 63rd minute equaliser. Eagle won the ball in midfield and played threaded an excellent through ball to Henderson who slammed the ball into the top corner from 20 yards.

Just two minutes later Lowestoft were ahead when from a Lee Smith free kick the ball was bundled into the net at the far post by Dale Cockrill. With their tails up Lowestoft completed an 8 minute purple patch with a third goal in the 71st minute. There seemed little danger as Cockrill played the ball to Henderson who moved to his right before sending a thunderbolt screaming past the keeper into the top
corner of the net from fully 30 yards.

Henderson was close to completing his hattrick but from Aaron Jones’ pass he curled the ball inches the wrong side of the post. Henderson then set up Francis who was denied by another fine save from Winterton as the Blues completed an excellent opening day victory.

Terry Lynes

Train with the Best - Win a training session with the England 6-a-side squad

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Whitehawk 42 88
2. Lowestoft Town 42 80
3. Wealdstone 42 79
4. Concord Rangers 42 76
5. East Thurrock United 42 70
6. Metropolitan Police 42 70
7. Bury Town 42 66


Club sponsors