Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Lowestoft Town FC app


Lowestoft Town - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Boston United
Lowestoft Town
Full time
J Ainsley (45' Pen), C Haynes-Brown (57'), J Reed (66')
Fri 26 Dec 15:00 - The Vanarama Football Conference - North Division Attendance 1,219

Boston United 5 Lowestoft Town 3

Lowestoft Town deserve so much more but are let down by very poor officiating in a 5-3 goal fest defeat at Boston United.

Our Main Sponsors:- Smith Bros Timber

Att 1219

Boston United:
Joel Dixon, Mills, Steer (McGhee 45 mins), Kyle Dixon, Garner, Piergianni, Marrs, Tempest, Southwell, Jones, Felix (Marshall 74 mins)
Subs not used; Hollingsworth, Newsham, Price

Lowestoft Town: Jones, Ainsley, Gleeson, Gaughran, Haynes-Brown, Mason (Eagle 68 mins), Jarvis, Okay (Fisk 68 mins), Adam Smith (Woods-Garness 78 mins), Reed, Bammant
Subs not used; Zielonka, Jessup

Lowestoft made one change to their starting line-up from last week with Jones coming back in after serving his suspension. While on the bench, Jessup replaced Radomski.

The match got underway and saw a quick start by an all in white Lowestoft side, who were quick to the ball and pressing well. However with Boston eventually getting their foot on the ball for a couple of minutes, the home side took the lead with their first effort of the match. Felix sat the ball up in the Lowestoft area from the right and with it being cleared it came to Tempest on the edge of the box and his drilled shot went through a crowd of shirts and into the roof of the the net for 1-0 (10 mins). Sometimes the only difference in a game can be who takes their chances and with a further ten minutes on the clock, the hosts doubled their lead. Tempest had worked himself some space down the left and with Lowestoft having seemingly cleared the danger, fortune was with Boston as Garner picked the ball up and hit it low and inside the post for 2-0 (20 mins). Two somewhat fortunate breaks leading to two shots outside the box was the only difference and a slightly harsh score line.
Boston were buoyed by the second goal though and were certainly not shy about shooting from distance with Kyle Dixon getting hold of one, forcing a good save at full stretch and on the deck by Jones.
Twenty-five minutes had now passed and Lowestoft were playing better than the score line suggested. A Bammant ball from the left picked out Reed in the box but with the striker having to stoop forward for a header, his effort didn't have anywhere near as much on it to trouble the Joel Dixon in the Boston goal. It felt as if a Lowestoft goal was on its way and with a nice touch by Bammant to find Reed in the area, the defender felled the striker for a stonewall penalty; well stonewall to everyone accept the officials that is, as Lowestoft found themselves on the end of a very poor decision with their appeals being waved away. It was really harsh on Lowestoft who were worthy of getting a goal back in a pretty close game.
As the thirty minute mark passed it became clear that it just wasn't going to be Lowestoft's day, as a well hit strike saw the hosts go three ahead. Yet again it was a strike from distance but this was the best strike of them all with Steer hitting a beautifully chipped effort from twenty-five yards to the far post, over the head of Jones and into the far top corner for 3-0 (32 mins). The Trawlerboys were no doubt disappointed to be three down but it was on overinflated reflection of the game as an unfortunate Lowestoft saw yet another good penalty shout turned away at the other end with Reed being fouled in the area yet again.
It was starting to feel like whatever they did things were against them but with the half almost over, Lowestoft got a penalty at the third time of asking. Surprisingly this was the softest of the three penalty shouts for Lowestoft with Mason regaining possession from his poorly hit corner before getting upended by Marrs for the spot kick. Penalties can of course be missed but with Ainsley that possibility never enters his mind and from the spot it was 3-1 (45 mins).
An injury forced Boston into a change just before the break as goalscorer Steer was replaced at the back by McGhee. While Haynes-Brown picked up a booking for the Trawlerboys as halftime arrived.

The second half started with Lowestoft pressing and the Solihull comeback no doubt fresh in their minds. However, it was Boston who forced the first effort at goal with Jones getting down well to save from leading scorer Southwell.
Lowestoft were full of it though and went straight up the other end but with Reed finding the net a frustrating offside flag saw the effort chalked off. The Trawlerboys were firmly on the front foot now as a Jarvis header was tipped over by Joel Dixon with ten second half minutes gone.
Lowestoft were certainly playing with the same tempo and guile that they had shown at Solihull and yet again those traits were reward with a second Lowestoft goal. A ball aimed into the box by Adam Smith was only cleared to Haynes-Brown and with the left back shifting his body to work an opening, he guided the ball to the right of the keeper and in for 3-2 (57 mins).
The away sides backs were now firmly up and with Mason going past the left back, only a block stopped another Lowestoft effort raining in on goal. The next goal certainly looked like it was more likely to come from the travelling Suffolk side but for the third time in the match, Lowestoft were let down by some very poor officiating. Southwell was coming back from being a number of yards offside and was still clearly offside when the ball was played but the linesman astonishingly left his flag down by his side, allowing Southwell with nobody near him as a result, to beat the committed Jones from a tight angle for 4-2 (64 mins). It was a truly dreadful decision that even left both sets of supporters and the match commentator unable to believe it but to their credit, the Lowestoft players shook it off and struck back again just two minutes later. A cross from the left by Bammant was met by Reed and it was 4-3 (66 mins); game on yet again!
Lowestoft were certainly looking the better of the two sides this half and were in the ascendency. So it appeared to be strange timing when a double change saw Eagle and Fisk replace Mason and Okay on sixty-eight minutes. Maybe it was tactical or just tired legs but it was a double change that left Lowestoft on another wavelength, as seconds after the restart a long throw was flicked into the Lowestoft area and Southwell was unmarked to head down and in, restoring the home sides two goal advantage; 5-3 (69 mins).
Both sides made further changes as Boston introduced Marshall for Felix and Lowestoft replaced Adam Smith with another attacking option, in Woods-Garness.
The minutes were now starting to drop off though and with Lowestoft trying and starting to leave a few more gaps, Southwell got the better of Ainsley down the left to get into the box and force a good block from the angle by Jones.
Four minutes of stoppage time were shown but for all their effort and competitive edge, the final whistle sounded and Lowestoft were left with nothing to show from a game in which they deserved something from.

Lowestoft certainly gave it their all as a team and no individuals were found wanting, on a day when poor officiating had let them down. The two earlier and nailed on penalties were a blow when not given but the crucial decision and goal came when Boston got their fourth from on offside position, when Lowestoft were looking good to level things up.

The first three Boston goals came from distance and those players should've probably been closed down or tracked by the Lowestoft midfield but in truth every player had put in a good shift for Lowestoft. One player in particular though ensured that Boston could not rest on their laurels at all and on any other day he would have won two penalties for his side. My Man of the Match was Jake Reed; who scored his fourth goal in his last five appearances, while putting in a striking performance up front, looking dangerous all game.

Lowestoft Town are next in action tomorrow (Sunday), when they welcome Gainsborough Trinity to the Crown Meadow (3pm kick-off).

Terry Bullen

Train with the Best - Win a training session with the England 6-a-side squad

Jake Reed

Player of the Match

Jake Reed

Key moments

Scored Penalty Jack Ainsley scores a penalty for Lowestoft Town
Goal Curtis Haynes-Brown scores for Lowestoft Town
Goal Jake Reed scores for Lowestoft Town
Replay game

As it happened

  • Boston United
  • Lowestoft Town
  • 0
  • Dean Mason Assist 45:00'
  • Jack Ainsley Scored Penalty 45:00'
  • Curtis Haynes-Brown Yellow Card 45:00'
  • Curtis Haynes-Brown Goal 57:00'
  • Shaun Bammant Assist 66:00'
  • Jake Reed Goal 66:00'
  • Dean Mason Sub Off 68:00'
  • Robert Eagle Sub On 68:00'
  • Erkan Okay Sub Off 68:00'
  • Andrew Fisk Sub On 68:00'
  • Adam Smith Sub Off 78:00'
  • Bradley Woods-Garness Sub On 78:00'

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

League table

# Team Pl Pts
14. Gloucester City 42 52
15. Harrogate Town 42 52
16. Lowestoft Town 42 51
17. Gainsborough Trinity 42 50
18. Brackley Town 42 47
19. Stalybridge Celtic 42 45
20. Colwyn Bay 42 45


Club sponsors