Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Lowestoft Town FC app


Lowestoft Town - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Lowestoft Town
Chelmsford City
Sat 15 Oct 15:00 - Cup Full time Attendance 1,065

Lowestoft Town 2 Chelmsford City 5

Two goals in the space of 3 minutes turned this pulsating cup tie in Chelmsford's favour.

The game had started at a high tempo with Lowestoft looking a good match for their higher league opponents.

It was the Trawlerboys who carved out the better chances in the opening spell with Clarets keeper Stuart Searle smothering a Chris Henderson free kick after a foul on Michael Frew. Frew had an even better chance moments later as he racerd through the visitors defence took the ball past keeper Searle but then blazed high over the bar.

Lowestoft deservedly took the lead in the 16th minute with Joe Francis played through to send a fearsome drive into the far top corner of the net. Chelmsford finally started to get back into the game and Lowestoft keeper Andy Reynolds had to stretch to tip over a teasing corner from Aiden Palmer and a cross from Cliff Akurang flashed across the face of the goal with no one able to get the final touch.

Lowestoft were finally undone by two quick goals fashioned on the training pitch. Firstly Cliff Akurang headed home from a left wing corner in the 37th minute and three minutes later a flag kick from the other flank was headed in by Max Cornhill.

Chelmsford were the far better side in the second period with Lowestoft having to try and force the game and the all imopiortant first goal of the second half went to Chelmsford to put them into a commanding position. Cliff Akurang kept possession as he cut in from the left and when Reynolds could only parry his shot Kezie Ibe was on hand to slot home the loose ball.

Worse was to follow in the 59th minute for the Trawlerboys as slack defensve play allowed Ibe to cut in from the byeline and his low cross deflected off Andrew Fisk into his own net.

Five minutes from the end an innocuous challenge on substitute Adrian Forbes by Aiden Palmer saw the referee award Lowestoft a penalty which was converted by fellow substitute Dale Cockrill. Lowestoft's joy though was short lived as straight from the restart Kezie Ibe restored the Clarets 3 goal advantage.

Chelmsford manager Glenn Pennyfather felt that his side started as if they were still on the bus. Lowestoft were by far the better side in that opening 25 minutes and scored a cracking goal. However once we got going I felt we could also cause them problems from our set pieces and that's how the two quick goals just before the break came. Second half I felt we were comfortable. We knew Lowestoft were a good side and it was going to be a tough game for us to win and we are pleased to be in the hat for the next round.

Lowestoft joint manager Ady Gallagher was disaapointed with his side's performance. I thought we started well and were good value for our lead. But we then defended poorly and paid the penalty. It was all very frustrating.

Man of the Match: Aiden Palmer (Chelmsford City)

Entertainment ****

Terry Lynes

Train with the Best - Win a training session with the England 6-a-side squad

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments


Club sponsors