Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Lowestoft Town FC app


Lowestoft Town - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Lowestoft Town
Sat 11 Oct 15:00 - Cup Full time Attendance 564

Tamworth 1 Lowestoft Town 0

A threadbare Lowestoft Town side see their FA Cup hopes come to an end in a 1-0 defeat at Tamworth in the third qualifying round

Our Main Sponsors - Smith Bros Timber

Att 564

Belshaw, Smith, Clarke, James, Preston, Green, Taylor, Adams (Trainer 82 mins), Jackson, Mettam (Morrell 74 mins), Daniels
Subs not used; Vidal, Gill, Amenku, Purdie

Lowestoft Town: Jessup, Marsden, Ainsley, Gaughran, Smith, Henderson, Fisk, Radomski, Eagle (Zielonka 81 mins), Bammant (Louis 62 mins), Woods-Garness (Davis 89 mins)
Subs not used; None

The Trawlerboys went into the match with Reed cup tied and a number of players missing with injury or illness; leaving the team and especially the defence a little threadbare with man of the moment Rickie Hayles also out with illness.
Reserve team striker Remy Davis was called up to the stretched squad with Ainsley having to pair up with Gaughran in central defence, Marsden at right back and both Woods-Garness and Radomski handed starts.

On a decent looking, slick surface after the morning rain, the game got underway at The Lamb with Tamworth in all red and Lowestoft in all blue.
There was very little to talk about until the twelfth minute, when a Tamworth ball was lifted over the top for Jackson but Ainsley was at hand to clean clean up well at the back for Lowestoft.
It was all looking fairly tight fifteen minutes in with nothing much doing; not even when Tamworth found themselves in a forward position with numbers and Taylor worked a shot that Jessup initially spilled before collecting at the second attempt. Tamworth were now settling into possession the best out of the two sides with some quick ball play. However, the game was still looking a tight affair and at the back for Lowestoft, Ainsley was standing in alongside Gaughran and was looking like he regularly played their with a confident and alert start to his game.
As the thirty minute mark approached Lowestoft were losing the midfield battle with Adams in particular starting to boss the game and in turn handing the possession and control of the game to Tamworth.
The first real effort of the game came when Lowestoft failed to clear their lines on the edge of the box, allowing Taylor to send a scuffed shot in on goal that hit the outside of the post and went behind for a goal kick.
Some good football by the home side saw Mettam receive the ball at his feet in the Lowestoft box but Ainsley was sharp to defend brilliantly, as he continued to look comfortable and confident at the back.
Lowestoft were finding it hard to get any sort of attack going and even though Woods-Garness was working hard up top, Bammant was not getting into the game.
Half time arrived with neither keeper having been tested but Tamworth were certainly ahead on points, in a game that was shaping up similar to the match at Barrow last weekend in the league.

Lowestoft started the second half well with Henderson showing great tenacity down the right to win the ball and find Bammant, who in turn picked out Woods-Garness but the striker pulled his shot wide.
It was better from Lowestoft and Henderson already had more of a spring in his step than what him and his side had in the first half.
As the sixty minute mark arrived Lowestoft were competing well, with the home supporters starting to sound a little frustrated with their side not finding the rhythm they had at times in the first half.
Lowestoft were first to turn to the bench with just under thirty minutes remaining, as Louis replaced Bammant up top and the game started to look like it might be there for the taking for Lowestoft, if they could find the passes to open Tamworth up.
Lowestoft were struggling to create though and with twenty minutes remaining Tamworth started to work themselves back into the game with their midfield taking hold again.
Tamworth then looked like they were going to take the lead as Daniels slide the ball into the path of Mettam in the box but his effort was drilled against the foot of the post and back into the danger zone, before Lowestoft eventually cleared.
It was now the turn of Tamworth to change it up from the bench, as Ex-Wrexham player and manager Morrell replaced Mettam.
There were just over ten minutes remaining and the game was now looking like it would take a mistake or spectacular goal to win it. Unfortunately for Lowestoft it was the former, as a few seconds of lapsed concentration at the back saw an opportunity to clear the ball pass by, allowing Daniels as a result to get on the ball, drop his shoulder and work a space to tuck the ball away inside the post for 1-0 (79 mins). One very nearly became two for the home side as the game opened up and Jackson found himself in on goal but Jessup was quick off his line to make a blocking save just inside the Lowestoft area.
Zielonka made his debut, replacing Eagle with just under ten minutes remaining and
Tamworth responded with a change of their own as Trainer replaced the impressive and industrious midfielder Adams.
Lowestoft were having to try and get bodies forward now and this was leaving gaps, one of which was found by the goalscorer Daniels as he picked up a loose ball in a dangerous position and looked to have placed it in the far corner but his effort was watched inches past the post by Jessup.
Time was running out for Lowestoft as Davis replaced Woods-Garness in the final minute and four minutes of stoppage time were indicated.
Unfortunately Lowestoft couldn't find anything in the remaining time and with the final whistle sounding their FA Cup journey had come to a premature end.

It had been a game that was always going to be an uphill task for the blues with a number of players missing and a patched up defence. However, it looked as if the blues had done enough to get a goalless draw for a replay on Tuesday but it wasn't to be with a momentary lapse of concentration leading to the goal and sending them out.

Woods-Garness worked hard and got a valuable ninety minutes under his belt, while Jessup continues to mature and grown in goal with another solid and commanding performance.
When it comes to the Man of the Match though, it was a performance that was as near as you will get to seeing a perfect performance on the pitch. A player who was asked to take up an unfamiliar position in his time at Lowestoft but put in an exceptional defensive showing and read the game expertly. Take a bow; my Man of the Match - Jack Ainsley

The next game for Lowestoft sees them in away cup action again, as they travel to play Ipswich Wanderers on Wednesday night in the Suffolk Premier Cup. Please note that there is no coach being run for this match. Lowestoft are next in league action on Saturday when they welcome the Jeckall and Hyde team of the league, Oxford City to the Crown Meadow.

Terry Bullen

Train with the Best - Win a training session with the England 6-a-side squad

Jack Ainsley

Player of the Match

Jack Ainsley
Replay game

As it happened

  • Tamworth
  • Lowestoft Town
  • 0
  • Shaun Bammant Sub Off 62:00'
  • Jefferson Louis Sub On 62:00'
  • Robert Eagle Sub Off 81:00'
  • Jacek Zielonka Sub On 81:00'
  • Bradley Woods-Garness Sub Off 89:00'
  • Remell Davis Sub On 89:00'

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments


Club sponsors